The Technical Group serves the IFM on technical issues concerning the management of fisheries, aquaculture and the aquatic environment, and in particular to:
- Review the fisheries and aquaculture sectors for issues that affect the IFM's remit arising from the scientific literature, the angling and national press, EC Directives and Government Consultations (in 2010 we consulted on new fisheries bylaws).
- Prepare position statements on issues identified.
- Respond to requests for comments to EU, Government and other external position papers and policy documents.
- Alert Training Committee on new developments that may need to be included in courses.
- Liaise with the Technical Secretariat of SocEnv in preparing position statements that concern the work of the IFM.
- Establish and encourage such specialist groups to further the work of the IFM and act as a focal point for such groups.
- Liaise with Branches and individual members on technical issues.
Where possible position papers and replies to consultation documents will be posted on the website.
Members are invited to raise any issues of technical concern that can be referred to the Group. Any member interested in contributing to the work of the Technical Group is invited to contact Robin Welcomme (email@example.com) or Alistair Maltby (firstname.lastname@example.org).
TheTriennial Review of the Environment Agency and Natural England
The Institute was recently asked to comment on the triennial review of both the Environment Agency and Natural England carried out by Defra. This was done on our behalf by Peter Spillett.
The full response document can be found below.